- 3 pints fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/3 cup shortening, plus more for greasing
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups whipped heavy cream
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Grease and flour an 8-inch round cake pan. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons white sugar and the salt. With a pastry blender cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg and milk. Stir until just combined. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let partially cool in pan on wire rack. Slice partially cooled cake in half, making 2 layers. Place half of the strawberries on 1 layer and cover with the other layer. Top with remaining strawberries and cover with the whipped cream. Slice and serve.