- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons red chili flakes
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup packaged fried onions (recommended: French's)
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter an 8 by 8-inch baking dish. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt. Saute for 3 minutes, then add the garlic and red chili flakes and saute for 2 more minutes. Add the heavy cream, Parmesan, and nutmeg. Heat until the cream is just beginning to bubble, stirring often. Turn the burner off and stir in sour cream and spinach. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the top evenly with fried onions. Bake until golden and bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Sunny Anderson, 2009