Grown-up Bologna Sandwiches
- Chipotle-Mayonnaise Spread:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped or 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (2-inch thick) slice bologna, cut into 1/2-inch chunks (about 8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 slices white Pullman bread, toasted
For the chipotle-mayonnaise spread: Combine the mayonnaise and chipotle pepper in a bowl, and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
For the bologna: In a large pan on medium-high heat add the oil. Add the bologna chunks to the hot oil. Saute while tossing to brown all sides, about 8 minutes. Add the onions and season lightly with salt and a few grinds of pepper. Continue to toss while cooking until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes more. Stir in the mustard, and honey to coat, and then add the wine. Simmer while tossing until the wine bubbles and foams and is reduced to only a bit of sauce in the pan.
To assemble the sandwiches, slather chipotle mayonnaise on each slice of toasted bread and top equally with the bologna. To serve as a smaller bite, cut the toasted bread into 1/4ths and continue to top as directed.
Recipe courtesy of Sunny Anderson, 2010