- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon powdered milk
- 1 tablespoon lard or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- Vegetable oil
- Grated cheese, as an accompaniment
- Chopped tomatoes, as an accompaniment
- Chopped onions, as an accompaniment
- Chopped green chiles, as an accompaniment
- Chopped olives, as an accompaniment
- Salsa, as an accompaniment
- Sour cream, as an accompaniment
Brown the beef in saute pan over medium-high heat. Add taco seasoning, to taste. Add refried beans. Mix well and set aside.
For the Frybread: Mix flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and powdered milk. Add lard or margarine and mix. Add water to make dough soft. Refrigerate until use. Dough will keep several days.
In a heavy skillet, heat 3/4-inch of oil to 375 degrees F.
Pat or roll out dough into about 6 (1/4 to 3/8-inch thick) rounds. Slide into hot oil. Puncture once or twice. Fry until golden brown. Flip the dough over and fry other side to golden brown. Take out and drain on paper towels.