Bread crumb mixture:
- 2 cups freshly ground baguette bread crumbs
- 1 cup mixed brunoise green, red, and yellow peppers
- 1/2 cup diced shallots
- 3 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- Pinch saffron (10 threads)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/2 gallon water
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 2 bunches basil leaves
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 pound jumbo lump crab meat
- 1 (11/4 pound) lobster
- Light olive oil, for sauteing
In a large mixing bowl combine all bread crumb mixture ingredients.
Poach lobster in water with lemon, basil and sea salt. (Rule of thumb is 5 minutes per pound.) Remove lobster from water and chill in ice water. Remove meat and shell and dice meat. Lightly pick through crabmeat.
Add crab and lobster to mixture and gently fold mixture until combines. Lightly press mixture down in bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Form the crab cakes in to 3-ounce portions about a silver dollar wide and 1 1/2 inches tall.
To a large saute pan, add enough light olive oil to fill about 1/2 inch high. Bring to 350 degrees F and add crab cakes. Cook until golden brown on both sides.
* Professional Recipe
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.