- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- Two 16-ounce cans pork and beans
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 to 8 slices bacon, cut into pieces and cooked
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9- by 13- by 2-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
In a large saucepan, brown the ground beef, onions and bell peppers. Add the pork and beans, barbecue sauce, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and brown sugar to the mixture. Simmer for 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle the bacon over the top of the casserole. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes. Let the casserole stand for 10 minutes before serving.