Skillet Almond Shortbread
- bunNonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds with skins
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with aluminum foil and spray the foil with cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl, stir 1 1/2 cups of the sugar into the melted butter. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Sift the flour and salt onto the batter. Add the flavoring and stir well. Pour the batter into the skillet. Top with sliced almonds and the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake until slightly brown on top, about 35 minutes. Cool the shortbread in the skillet. When cool, use the foil to lift the shortbread from the skillet; remove the foil before serving.
Recipe adapted from Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen by Trisha Yearwood (c) Clarkson Potter 2008