Tub Tim Krob (Red Rubies)
- Red Rubies:
- 1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts in syrup, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 (13 1/2-ounce) can coconut milk or cream
- Ice cubes
- Jasmine Simple Syrup, recipe follows
- This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
- Jasmine Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Splash jasmine essence or extract (see Cook's Note)
Pour out the contents into a colander and shake off the excess flour (make sure there's not too much flour or the texture will be too gummy and you will lose the water chestnut flavor).
Put the floured chestnuts into a pot of boiling water. Boil until the flour turns translucent and the red of the water chestnuts is all that's left, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain the water chestnuts. Toss into a bowl of ice cubes and water.Jasmine Simple Syrup:
Boil the sugar and water with the jasmine essence to flavor your syrup. Pour into squeeze bottles. Refrigerate.
Cook's Note: If you can't find jasmine essence, soak fresh jasmine in water overnight or use rose essence or extract.
Recipe courtesy Manouschka Guerrier, 2010