Calypso Beans, Tomato and Poblano Stew
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ham hock
- 1 pound dried calypso beans (or black-eyed peas), soaked overnight and drained
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 canned chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
- 4 poblano chiles, roasted, seeded and chopped
- 4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lime wedges, for garnish
In a large pot over medium-high heat add olive oil. When the oil is hot add the onion, garlic, bay leaf, and ham hock; cook for 5 minutes. Add the beans and stir in the cumin, chipotles, chiles, tomatoes, and cilantro; season with salt and pepper. Pour in enough water to cover the beans by 1-inch and bring it to a boil. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until the beans are tender, about 1 hour. Remove the bay leaf and discard; pick the meat from the ham hock, discard the bone, and return the meat to the pot. Taste it and adjust the seasoning. Serve with lime wedges for garnish.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.