- 4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons celery seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pickling spice
- Kosher salt
- 2 pounds firm heirloom tomatoes (mixed colors and varieties), cut into large chunks
- 2 medium onions, sliced
Combine the vinegar, sugar, ginger, dry mustard, turmeric, mustard seeds, celery seeds, pickling spice and 1 teaspoon salt in a large pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer 15 minutes to extract the flavors of the spices.
Return to high heat; once the mixture is boiling and steaming, add the tomatoes and onions, stirring to coat everything evenly. Reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
Photographs by James Baigrie