Jerk Chicken with Roasted Mango and Habanero Chiles
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 Scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup tamarind paste
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (3 1/2 to 4 pound) chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 mangoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 habanero pepper, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 4 sprigs thyme
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
In a small skillet over medium heat, add the allspice, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, cloves, and nutmeg. Toast for 1 to 2 minutes, just until you start to smell them. Place in a spice mill or clean coffee grinder and process to a powder. Add all remaining marinade ingredients to a blender, top with spice mixture, and season with salt and pepper. Puree until smooth, adding more olive oil if needed. Wash and dry chicken pieces and place in a shallow dish. Pour jerk sauce over chicken; cover and marinate at least 2 hours or overnight.
Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Add the oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken on both sides. Add the mango, habanero, scallions, and thyme. Place in the oven and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Garnish with cilantro.
Note: Scotch bonnets and habaneros are very hot peppers. Gloves should be worn when cutting and handling peppers to protect the skin. Wash your gloves and your hands after handling hot peppers. Avoid allowing your fingers to come into contact with your eyes or other sensitive body parts. Make sure knives and cutting surfaces are thoroughly cleaned.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Spicy Jerk Wings with Sugared Oranges, Grilled Chicken Salad with Fresh Herbs and Celery on Toasted Rolls, Chicken and Grilled Pineapple Wedges with Green Peppercorn Sauce and Mushrooms, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Chicken Soup Recipes, Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipes, Christmas Dinner Recipes, Chicken, Oven Fried Chicken Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.