- 4 Bartlett pears
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, beaten to soft peaks
- Unsalted butter, at room temperature, granulated and sugar, for the baking dish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Peel the pears and cut them in 1/2 through the stem end. Use a melon baller to scoop out the cores. Put the pear halves in a large bowl. Sprinkle over the vanilla; toss. Then sprinkle over the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg and toss to coat the pears with the flavorings. Line the pears up in a buttered, sugared baking dish, rounded sides up.
In the same bowl, mash together the butter, brown sugar, flour, and salt with your hands for the topping. Toss in the cranberries. Crumble the topping mixture over the pears in the baking dish and bake until the topping is crunchy and browned and the pears are very tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve with whipped cream