Spiced Apples and Raisins
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced in 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- Leaves from 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch cardamom
- Pinch dry mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Melt the butter in a clean skillet over medium-low heat. Add the apples and thyme and coat in the butter; cook and stir for 8 minutes to give them some color. Toss in the raisins and add the apple juice, stirring to scrape up the brown bits. Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and dry mustard; season with salt and pepper. Squeeze in the lemon juice to wake up the flavor and simmer for 10 minutes or until the apples break down and soften. Serve spiced apples and raisins with holiday pork, turkey or ham.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.