Sweet Potato Matchsticks
- Peanut or vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 3 to 4 sprigs rosemary
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh sage
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, separated but unpeeled
- 2 to 3 large sweet potatoes
- Cajun Seasoning, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Begin by putting the oil, herbs and garlic in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Bring the oil up to 365 degrees F, then remove the herbs and garlic with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. They should be nice and crackly at this stage. Reserve for garnish.
Using a mandoline, cut the sweet potatoes into matchsticks. Put in a large bowl of ice water to remove any starch. Soak for a few minutes and rinse with fresh cold water until it runs clear. Drain the matchsticks and pat dry in a kitchen towel, to remove as much water as possible. Fry in 365 degree F oil, in small batches, until crispy and golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to paper cones, resting in cups, and season with Cajun spice mix. Peel the garlic cloves and sprinkle over the matchsticks along with the fried herbs before serving.
Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence