- Peanut or vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 3 to 4 sprigs rosemary
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh sage
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, separated but unpeeled
- 2 to 3 large sweet potatoes
- Cajun Seasoning, recipe follows
Begin by putting the oil, herbs and garlic in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Bring the oil up to 365 degrees F, then remove the herbs and garlic with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. They should be nice and crackly at this stage. Reserve for garnish.
Using a mandoline, cut the sweet potatoes into matchsticks. Put in a large bowl of ice water to remove any starch. Soak for a few minutes and rinse with fresh cold water until it runs clear. Drain the matchsticks and pat dry in a kitchen towel, to remove as much water as possible. Fry in 365 degree F oil, in small batches, until crispy and golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to paper cones, resting in cups, and season with Cajun spice mix. Peel the garlic cloves and sprinkle over the matchsticks along with the fried herbs before serving.
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl.