- 16 ounces dairy-free vegan cheese
- Cornmeal, for dusting
- Whole-Wheat Crust, recipe follows
- 1 jar pizza sauce (recommended: Muir Glen Organic Sauce)
- 3 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut into large chunks
- 1 orange bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into large chunks
- 2 medium red onions, cut into large chunks
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, cut into large chunks
- Whole-Wheat Crust:
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (about 110 degrees F)
- 2 tablespoons honey
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut the cheese into large chunks that will fit in the shredder attachment of a food processor. Shred the cheese in the processor. Sprinkle cornmeal on a clean surface and roll out the dough until it is approximately 1/2-inch thick (should be about an 18-inch circle). Transfer dough to a pizza stone or rimless pan large enough to hold it.
Spread the sauce over the surface of the crust, leaving approximately 1/2-inch of crust around the edge. Sprinkle the cut vegetables on top of the sauce and then sprinkle the cheese over the veggies.
Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly. Serve hot.Whole-Wheat Crust:
Sift the flours together in a medium sized bowl. Place the yeast in a separate bowl and pour the warm water over it; let stand for about 5 minutes. Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment, mixing for approximately 5 minutes. Set the dough aside to rise for approximately 2 hours.
Once the dough has risen, roll out the dough to a circle that is approximately 1/2-inch thick and about 18 inches in diameter.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Shay Hopper