- 2 ounces butter
- 2 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 quart whole milk
- 8 ounces sharp white Cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Whisk in the flour, and add the milk slowly, whisking as you go. Let the sauce simmer over a very low flame for about 10 minutes. Stir in the cheese, dry mustard, Worcestershire, salt, white pepper and cayenne.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.