White House Garden Herb-Roasted Chicken with Braised Greens
- 3 tablespoons chopped mixed fresh herbs (such as rosemary, thyme, sage and parsley)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 3 -to-4 pound chicken, quartered
- Salt and pepper
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 bunches kale, collard or mustard greens (a mix also works well), stemmed and torn
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
Mix the herbs, mustard and olive oil in a nonreactive baking dish. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper and turn to coat evenly. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least 1 hour or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place the chicken on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast until the meat is cooked through and the skin is crisp, 30 to 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, saute the bacon in a deep pan or Dutch oven over medium heat until rendered, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and cook until translucent, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the greens, in batches, and saute until wilted, about 4 minutes. Add the chicken stock, cover and gently braise over low heat until tender, about 40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve with the chicken.
Photograph by Kate Mathis
Thank you! your flag was submitted.