- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 egg whites
- 4 ounces firm white fish, cut into finger-sized strips
- 2 ounces rock shrimp
- 2 ounces medium size shrimp
- 2 ounces clean calamari, cut into 1/2-inch rings
- 1 Japanese eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch by 3-inch strips
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch by 3-inch strips
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup sage leaves
- 1/2 cup parsley sprigs
- Oil, for frying
- Lemon wedges
- Sauce Tartare, recipe follows
Prepare the batter. In a mixing bowl, sift the flour and salt. Make a well in the center. Pour the olive oil and gradually beat in the water to make a smooth, thick batter. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Before using, beat the egg whites until firm. Lightly fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.
Preheat the oil to 375 degrees F.
Thoroughly wash all the seafood in water. Drain. Dip the assorted seafood and vegetables in the prepared batter and shake off any excess batter. Cook in hot oil and fry until crisp and golden. Lift out and drain on paper towels.
Fry the basil, sage and parsley, then drain. Sprinkle fried seafood with salt and divide onto 4 serving plates. Garnish with the fried herbs and lemon wedges. Serve immediately with Sauce Tartare.