- 6 pita rounds
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin or lamb
- Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 2 sprigs fresh, finely chopped
- 2 pinches ground cinnamon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 box frozen spinach, 10 ounces, defrosted and wrung dry in towel
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup pitted, chopped kalamata black olives
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 pound orzo pasta
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut pita rounds into 6 wedges each with knife or kitchen scissors. Scatter wedges onto a baking sheet and spray with olive oil cooking spray. Season with salt and bake 10 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and cool.
Heat a large high sided skillet with extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, over medium- high heat until oil ripples. Add beef or lamb, brown and crumble meat, about 5 minutes. Season the meat with salt, pepper, oregano, cinnamon. Add the onions, garlic and eggplant and cook 6 to 7 minutes then stir in spinach and tomato sauce. Simmer a few minutes and adjust seasonings.
Chop olives with lemon zest and parsley - Greek Gremolata!
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook orzo according to box instructions.