Cheese Stuffed Bacon Meatballs
- 8 to 10 slices applewood smoked bacon
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon coarse black pepper
- 1 tablespoon beef stock
- 8 to 10 bocconcini mozzarella balls
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 (14-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 (14-ounce) cans diced tomatoes in puree
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Arrange the bacon slices on a sheet pan. Put in the oven and bake until crisp, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan to a cutting board and chop. Set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together the beef, Worcestershire, onion soup mix, bread crumbs, black pepper, stock and the chopped bacon.
Add the oil to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot add the onion, garlic, basil, oregano and pepper and saute for a few minutes. Stir in the crushed and diced tomatoes, red pepper flakes and the bouillon. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove the meatballs from the pan to a serving platter and serve with the marinara sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray