Funky Fried Chicken
- Canola oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons granulated onion
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 (3 1/2-pound) whole chickens, cut into 10 pieces each and trimmed of fat
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
In a large skillet, add canola oil over medium heat.
In a small bowl, mix together all spices. Use 1/2 of mix to season chicken. Let seasoned chicken sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
In a large bowl, add flour and remaining seasoning mix. Toss chicken with seasoned flour and add to hot oil, 1 piece at a time. Cover pan with foil. Remove foil after 8 to 10 minutes and flip chicken. Cook until the chicken is golden brown. Remove from fryer to a paper towel-lined sheet tray. Season with salt, if desired, and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Aaron McCargo, Jr.