Fried Pea and Mint Patty Sandwiches: Pea-lafels
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves, finely chopped, plus 3/4 cup whole leaves
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed and drained
- 1 cup frozen edamame, thawed and drained (if you can't find these, or don't like them, substitute with an extra cup of peas)
- 1 large shallot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Generous 1/4 cup chickpea flour (besan, available at Indian stores; regular flour is a fine substitute)
- Canola oil, for frying
- 2 large pitas, halved
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into large dice
- 1 large English cucumber, sliced into 1/8-inch rounds
In a small skillet, toast the fennel and coriander seeds for a couple of minutes until they're fragrant and slightly darker, about 2 minutes. Don't walk away from the pan! They'll burn! Remove from the pan and throw into a coffee/spice grinder. Grind to a fine powder.
Meanwhile, make the yogurt sauce: Mix the yogurt with the 1/2 cup finely chopped mint leaves and a generous pinch of salt. Chill in the fridge.
Throw the peas, edamame, ground spices, shallot, garlic, remaining whole mint leaves, olive oil, and salt into a food processor. Whizz it up and puree until smooth. It won't get completely smooth because of the edamame, but process until it is as smooth as possible.
Scrape into a big bowl and stir in the flour. The mixture will still be pretty soft. Not to worry!
Pour enough oil into a large cast iron skillet so that it's 1/4-inch deep. Heat over medium heat until shimmering. Meanwhile, with wet hands, shape the pea mixture into 12 small patties the size of a golf ball, and then gently drop into the oil. Fry until the bottoms are dark caramel brown, about 2 minutes, and then carefully flip over. Brown the other side, and then remove from the pan and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
Serve warm in a pita bread pocket stuffed with the fresh veggies and a spoonful of the yogurt sauce.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Deep-Fried Black-Eyed Pea and Ham Bites with a Sweet Cranberry Dipping Sauce, Delicate Mint Sandwich Holiday Cookies, Mess of Pease and Things (Purple Potato, Sugar Snap Pea, and Mint Salad), Indian, Turkey Sandwiches, Beans and Legumes, Split Pea Soup Recipes, Sandwich Recipes, Peas
Thank you! your flag was submitted.