AH, HA! Mac N Cheese
- Salt, as needed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pounds elbow macaroni
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup processed cheese (recommended: Velveeta)
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, melted
- 6 cups half-and-half, divided
- 3 cups grated sharp yellow Cheddar, plus 1 cup
- 2 cups grated extra-sharp white Cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated Asiago cheese, grated
- 1 cup grated Swiss Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup grated Muenster cheese
- 1 cup grated fontina cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Bring a large saucepan of salted water and a tablespoon of oil to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until slightly al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until frothy. Combine the processed cheese, butter, and 2 cups of half-and-half in a large bowl.
Add the warm macaroni, tossing until the cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth. Add the remaining 4 cups of half-and-half, 3 cups of sharp yellow cheddar cheese, the remaining grated cheeses, and seasoning salt and pepper, tossing until completely combined.
Pour mixture into 4 au gratin dishes, with the remainder in a casserole, and bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of sharp yellow Cheddar cheese on top and place under broiler until golden brown. Serve hot.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Delilah Winder, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2007
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray