- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) semisweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 1 stick butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 cup chocolate sprinkles, for rolling
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse (but somewhat small size) sea salt
In a small skillet, simmer the honey until it becomes medium brown in color and has a light, caramel scent. Remove from heat and keep warm.
In a medium bowl, combine the 2 types of chocolate and butter. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water and melt the chocolate, making sure to stir often. Once the chocolate has completely melted remove the bowl from the heat and whisk in the caramelized honey, rum and powdered sugar. Transfer mixture to a cool bowl and allow it to "set" a little, about 5 minutes.
Combine the sprinkles and salt in a bowl. Using your hands roll the chocolate mixture into small balls, about 1 inch in diameter. Roll them in the chocolate sprinkle/salt mixture until they are generously coated. Place on serving tray or store them in an airtight container.