- Ingredients for 1 recipe Sugar Cookie Dough, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, very finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 egg white, beaten with 1/2 teaspoon water
- White sanding sugar, for sprinkling
- Equipment: 2-by-2 1/2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter
Add and sift the cocoa powder with the flour, baking powder and salt. Proceed with Sugar Cookie Dough recipe and chill for 2 hours.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Stir the chopped chocolate and marmalade together in a small bowl until combined.
Sprinkle a work surface and rolling pin with confectioner's sugar and roll out dough to 1/8-inch thick. Move dough frequently to prevent it from sticking and add more confectioner's sugar to the work surface and rolling pin as needed. With a 2-by-2 1/2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut 48 hearts, re-rolling dough as needed. Place half of the hearts at least 1 inch apart on two parchment-lined baking sheets.
Evenly spread about 1 level teaspoon of the marmalade/chocolate mixture over each heart, leaving a 1/4-inch border around the edges. Brush the outer edge of the hearts lightly with egg-white wash. Place another dough heart over the filling and gently press the edges to seal. Continue with remaining dough cut-outs. Lightly brush the surface of the cookies with egg-white wash and sprinkle generously with sanding sugar. Bake until set, about 12-14 minutes. Let cool on the pan slightly before transferring to a rack to cool completely.