- 1 cup lump or backfin crabmeat
- 1 cup special crabmeat (small pieces white crabmeat)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
If using a deep fryer, heat vegetable oil to 375 degrees F.
In a bowl combine the crabmeat, mayonnaise, and pepper. Form into either 1-ounce balls for fritters or into 3-ounce cakes. Roll in the panko to evenly coat. Deep-fry the fritters in until golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes or pan-fry the cakes in 1 to 2 inches of 375 degree F vegetable oil until golden brown and flip to brown on the other side about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Drain both on a tray lined with paper towels. Serve immediately.