- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound pears, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Pinch kosher salt
- Pinch freshly ground clove
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Place the parsnips, pears, maple syrup, orange zest, orange juice, cardamom, salt, and clove into a microwave safe, sealable 3 to 4 quart container. Cover with a lid, leaving one corner open to allow steam to escape. Microwave on high for 10 to 15 minutes or until the parsnips and pears are fork tender.
Add the lemon juice and puree to your desired consistency using an immersion blender. Serve warm or chilled. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days, refrigerated.
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2009