Scallops on the Half Shell
- 8 ounces bay scallops
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus a pinch
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs or crushed crackers
- 2 medium size very ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Remove the side muscles from the scallops and rinse with cold water and thoroughly pat dry.
Melt the butter in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Once the butter is melted add the garlic and a pinch of salt and cook for 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat and toss in the bread crumbs until well combined. Set aside.
In a small bowl, toss together the tomato, parsley and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Evenly divide the tomato mixture between 4 oven proof ramekins or scallop shells. Place the scallops over the tomato mixture and top with the cracker or bread crumbs. Bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown on top. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2005
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali