- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 turkey neck, reserved from turkey and cut in half
- 1 turkey backbone, reserved from turkey and cut in half
- 1 set giblets, reserved from turkey
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 medium carrot, quartered
- 1 stalk celery, quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups water
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the giblet stock: Heat the oil in a 6 1/2-quart stockpot over medium heat until it shimmers. Add the neck and backbone and saute 5 to 6 minutes or until browned. Add the giblets, onion, carrot, celery and kosher salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Pour in the water and add the thyme, rosemary, bay leaf and black peppercorns.
Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until the stock reduces to 3 cups.
For the giblet gravy: Place 2 cups of the giblet stock in a 4-quart saucier over medium heat.
Combine 1/2 cup of cool stock with the all-purpose flour in a jar with a tightly fitted lid. Shake vigorously until starch dissolves and no lumps remain.
Gradually add the flour slurry to stock, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until thickened slightly.
Combine the remaining 1/2 cup of cool stock with the potato starch in the lidded jar and shake vigorously until the starch dissolves and no lumps remain.
Turn off the heat, remove the saucier from the burner and whisk until the liquid temperature decreases to 190 degrees F. Return to low heat and whisk in the potato starch slurry, rosemary, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes to heat through and thicken, then season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Add the chopped giblets and stir to combine. Keep warm in a thermos until ready to serve.