- 1 (1-pound) bag mixed frozen vegetables
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground cinnamon
- 2 medium cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 dried red chiles, stems and seeds removed if less heat is desired
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper, optional
Poke several holes in the bag of frozen vegetables and microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes or until thawed. Set aside.
In medium mixing bowl, whisk together yogurt and cornstarch. Set aside.
Heat oil in a 10-inch, non-reactive saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds, fennel seeds and mustard seeds, cover pan with a splatter screen, and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to pop. Once they begin to pop, turn the heat down to medium, and add turmeric, onion powder, coriander, cinnamon, garlic, and chiles. Saute until garlic turns golden brown in color, approximately 3 to 5 minutes. Gently add the vegetables, sugar, salt and pepper, if desired, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables are heated through. Remove vegetables from heat, pour into bowl with yogurt mixture, and stir to combine. Remove chiles if desired, and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2003
Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller