31. Cider Doughnuts: Simmer 1 cup apple cider until reduced to 1/4 cup; cool. Mix with 1/2 cup grated peeled apple, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 egg, 1/4 teaspoon each nutmeg and vanilla, and 2 cups dry pancake mix. Roll into 1-inch balls and deep-fry in 375 degrees F oil. Drain on paper towels and roll in cinnamon sugar.
32. Chicken-Apple Crepes: Prepare Apple-Mustard Chicken (No. 30); dice the chicken. Fill prepared crepes with the chicken and shredded gruyere. Roll up, top with the sauce and bake at 350 degrees F, 12 minutes.
33. Apple Stuffing: Cook 1/2 cup each chopped onion, celery and apple and 3 tablespoons each chopped almonds and prunes in 1/2 stick butter until soft. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in 1 cup each chicken broth and cream, 12 cups stale bread cubes and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Transfer to a baking dish, cover and bake at 375 degrees F, 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 more minutes.
34. Apple Skillet Pancake: Whisk 3 eggs until frothy; whisk in 3/4 cup each milk and flour. Peel, core and slice 1 apple; cook in an ovenproof 10-inch skillet with 3 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon sugar until just soft. Add the batter and bake at 450 degrees F until puffy and golden, 15 minutes.
35. Apple Pancake: Topping Cook 2 chopped peeled apples and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat, 5 minutes. Add 3/4 cup maple syrup and bring to a simmer.
36. Apple Turnovers: Make Apple Pancake Topping (No. 35), using only 1/4 cup maple syrup; cook until the liquid is reduced by half. Stir in 1 tablespoon raisins; cool. Cut 1 sheet puff pastry into 4 squares; roll out each into a 6-inch square. Fill with the apple mixture and fold into triangles; crimp to seal. Bake at 425 degrees F until puffed and golden, 20 minutes.
37. Apple-Cheddar Fondue: Simmer 1/8 cup each apple cider and white wine. Whisk in 3/4 pound shredded extra-sharp cheddar tossed with 2 teaspoons cornstarch. Add 2 tablespoons applejack brandy and season with salt and pepper. Serve with cubed bread and apple slices.
38. Waldorf Salad: Toss 1/2 cup sliced grapes, 2 each chopped apples and celery stalks, 1/4 cup each mayonnaise, sour cream, walnuts and parsley, and lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
39. Cranberry Waldorf: Make Waldorf Salad (No. 38), replacing the grapes, walnuts and parsley with dried cranberries, hazelnuts and dill.
40. Creamy Apple Slaw: Mix 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard and 2 teaspoons apple cider. Toss with 1 cup each grated peeled celery root and apple, and salt, pepper and parsley to taste.