41. Sweet Bacon Press both sides of bacon slices in brown sugar; place on a rack set on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F, flipping once, 18 to 20 minutes.
42. Spicy-Sweet Bacon Make Sweet Bacon (No. 41) but sprinkle with ancho chile powder before pressing in sugar.
43. Bacon Grits Simmer 2 cups each milk and water with 1 teaspoon salt in a saucepan. Stir in 1 cup grits; simmer until tender, about 35 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter and 1 cup each grated cheddar and crumbled cooked bacon. Top with chopped chives.
44. Bacon Quesadillas Cook 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms and 1/4 cup chopped onion in butter until soft. Add 2 slices chopped Spicy-Sweet Bacon (No. 42). Spread on tortillas with grated cheddar, then fold in half and cook in a skillet.
45. Bacon-Apple Pancakes Mix 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 cup buttermilk, 1 egg, 1 grated apple and 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon. Cook in a hot buttered skillet.
46. Bacon Banana Bread Stir 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon into your favorite banana bread batter before baking.
47. Bacon-Potato Pancake Cook 2 slices bacon; drain and crumble. Shred 2 peeled russet potatoes; squeeze dry. Mix with 1/4 grated onion, the bacon, and salt and pepper. Cook in the drippings until crisp, 8 minutes per side.
48. Bacon-Egg Sandwich Fry 2 slices bacon, then fry 2 tomato slices and an egg in the drippings. Sandwich with buttered crumpets, adding a slice of cheddar.
49. Bacon Oatmeal Stir 2 tablespoons each maple syrup and crumbled cooked bacon into 2 cups cooked oatmeal.
50. Bacon Brittle Boil 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water in a saucepan, without stirring, until 340 degrees F, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in 1 cup peanuts, 5 slices crumbled cooked bacon, 1 tablespoon butter and a pinch each of cayenne and cinnamon. Spread on a greased baking sheet to harden.
Photographs by Charles Masters