50 Canned Pumpkin Recipes
Put this fall favorite to good use with dozens of recipes from Food Network Magazine.
1. Creamy Soup Simmer one 15-ounce can pumpkin, 2 cups chicken broth, 1/2 cup cream and 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, whisking, 5 minutes.
2. Apple-Bacon Soup Make Creamy Pumpkin Soup (No. 1); add 2 tablespoons maple syrup. Cook 1 cubed apple in butter until soft. Top the soup with the apple and crumbled cooked bacon.
3. Curried Soup Make Creamy Pumpkin Soup (No. 1), omitting the pumpkin pie spice. Toast 2 tablespoons curry powder in 1 tablespoon butter; add to the soup along with the juice of 2 limes. Top with plain yogurt and cilantro.
4. Chili Brown 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped bell pepper and 1 1/2 pounds ground beef in oil in a pot. Stir in one 15-ounce can each pumpkin, diced fire-roasted tomatoes and black beans (drained), and 2 cups water. Add 2 tablespoons each chili powder and adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle chiles). Simmer 30 minutes.
5. Pasta Alfredo Saute 10 sage leaves in 2 tablespoons butter. Whisk in 1 cup each pumpkin and cream, and a pinch of nutmeg; simmer 5 minutes. Toss with 12 ounces cooked pasta. Top with grated parmesan.
6. Risotto Saute 1 chopped onion and 10 sage leaves in olive oil in a saucepan. Stir in 2 cups arborio rice. Stir in 1/2 cup white wine until absorbed. Gradually add 6 cups chicken broth, stirring until absorbed; whisk in 3/4 cup pumpkin. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter and 1 cup grated parmesan.
7. Risotto Cakes Mix 2 cups cold leftover Pumpkin Risotto (No. 6) with 1/2 cup grated parmesan; shape into small patties. Dredge in flour, then beaten egg, then breadcrumbs; chill 20 minutes. Cook in olive oil in a hot skillet until crisp.
8. Quesadillas Mix 1/2 cup pumpkin and 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle chiles). Spread on 2 flour tortillas; sprinkle with grated cheddar and top each with another tortilla. Cook in a hot buttered skillet until golden. Cut into wedges.
9. Polenta Combine 4 cups water, 1 cup pumpkin and 2 bay leaves in a pot; bring to a simmer. Whisk in 1 cup polenta and cook, whisking, until creamy, 20 minutes. Whisk in 2 tablespoons butter and 1/2 cup grated parmesan. Top with crumbled gorgonzola.
10. Fried Polenta Make Pumpkin Polenta (No. 9); pour into a loaf pan and chill overnight. Cut into slices, dust with flour and cook in a hot oiled skillet until crisp.
11. Refried Beans Cook 1 small chopped onion in olive oil in a saucepan until soft. Add two 15-ounce cans pinto beans (drained) and 2 cups water; simmer until thickened. Add 1 cup pumpkin and mash.
12. Mashed Potatoes Cook 2 pounds quartered peeled potatoes in boiling water, 20 minutes; drain. Steep 1 sprig sage and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg in 1 cup hot cream, 10 minutes; remove the sage. Mash with the potatoes, 1 cup pumpkin, and salt.
13. Mashed Sweet Potatoes Cook 2 pounds quartered peeled sweet potatoes in boiling water, 15 minutes. Drain and mash with 1 cup pumpkin, 1/2 stick butter, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, and salt to taste. Top with crumbled cooked bacon.
14. Gnocchi Mix 2 cups cold leftover Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes (No. 12) with 1 egg and 1 1/4 cups flour. On a floured surface, roll into ropes and cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Cook in boiling water until they float. Toss with butter and grated parmesan.
15. Twice-Baked Potatoes Pierce 4 potatoes with a fork; bake at 400 degrees F, 45 minutes. Halve and scoop out the flesh; mash with 1/2 cup each pumpkin, sour cream and shredded cheddar, 1/2 stick butter, 2 chopped scallions, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and a pinch of nutmeg. Spoon into the potato skins; bake 20 minutes.
16. Deviled Eggs Halve 12 hard-cooked eggs. Mash the yolks with 1/3 cup each pumpkin and mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon dijon mustard and 1/2 teaspoon each ground coriander and salt. Spoon into the whites.
17. Cucumber Dip Peel and shred half of a cucumber; squeeze dry. Mix with 1 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup pumpkin, 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, 1 chopped scallion, 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon each ground cumin and coriander.
18. Hummus Puree one 15-ounce can chickpeas (drained), 1 garlic clove, the juice of 1 lemon, 5 tablespoons each pumpkin, tahini and olive oil, and 2 tablespoons water; season with salt. Top with pepitas.
19. Fondue Toss 2 cups shredded cheddar with 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Simmer one 12-ounce bottle pumpkin beer in a pot. Stir in 1 cup pumpkin and the cheese mixture until melted. Add a pinch of nutmeg. Serve with bread cubes.
20. Cheese Balls Pulse 8 ounces goat cheese, 2 cups grated manchego, 3/4 cup pumpkin and 1/2 teaspoon each smoked paprika and kosher salt. Form into 12 balls, then roll in chopped pecans and pepitas.
21. Crostini Mix 5 ounces goat cheese, 1/3 cup pumpkin, 1 teaspoon maple syrup, and salt and pepper. Spread on toasted baguette. Top with crumbled cooked bacon.
22. Grits Simmer 2 1/2 cups water, 1/2 cup pumpkin and 3/4 cup quick grits, 5 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter and 1 cup shredded cheddar.
23. Mustard Mix 2 tablespoons each pumpkin, grainy mustard and honey.
24. Grilled Cheese Make Pumpkin Mustard (No. 23); spread on bread and sandwich with jack cheese and cooked bacon. Cook in a hot buttered skillet until golden.
25. Compound Butter Pulse 1 stick butter with 1/4 cup pumpkin, 2 tablespoons chopped parsley and a pinch of pumpkin pie spice in a food processor.
26. Vinaigrette Whisk 2 tablespoons each cider vinegar and pumpkin, and 1 teaspoon dijon mustard; whisk in 1/4 cup olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
27. Cocktails Mix 1 cup ginger beer, 1/2 cup each pumpkin and bourbon, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into 2 ice-filled glasses.
28. Lattes Whisk 2 1/4 cups milk, 1/4 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons pumpkin, 1 tablespoon vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice and 1/4 cup espresso in a saucepan; bring to a simmer. Pour into 2 mugs.
29. Cream Cheese Pulse 8 ounces cream cheese, 1/3 cup pumpkin, 1 tablespoon maple syrup and 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice in a food processor.
30. French Toast Cut a pocket in the side of 4 thick slices challah. Make Pumpkin Cream Cheese (No. 29); stuff 2 tablespoons into each pocket. Whisk 4 eggs, 1 cup half-and-half, 1/4 cup maple syrup and 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice; add the bread and soak 1 minute. Cook in a hot buttered skillet until golden.
31. Pancakes Whisk 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup pumpkin, 2 tablespoons melted butter and 2 eggs. Sift 1 1/2 cups flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt; whisk into the milk mixture. Cook by 1/4 cupfuls in a hot buttered skillet until golden.
32. Oatmeal Simmer 1 1/2 cups skim milk, 1 cup quick oats and 1/2 cup pumpkin, 1 minute. Stir in 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon butter, 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice and a pinch of salt.
33. Yogurt Whisk 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup pumpkin and 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.
34. Smoothies Puree 1 cup each vanilla yogurt, pumpkin and ice, 1 banana, 2 tablespoons honey and 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice. Pour into 2 glasses.
35. Applesauce Simmer 4 chopped peeled apples, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup each sugar and pumpkin, the juice of 1 lemon and a cinnamon stick, stirring occasionally, 12 minutes. Mash with a fork.
36. Cornbread Mix 1 cup each cornmeal and flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Whisk 1 cup each pumpkin and milk, 2 eggs and 3 tablespoons melted butter; stir into the cornmeal-flour mixture. Fold in 1 cup shredded pepper jack. Spread in a hot oiled 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Bake at 400 degrees F, 30 minutes.
37. Focaccia Mix 3/4 cup pumpkin, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary. Stretch 1 pound pizza dough until 10 by 12 inches; top with the pumpkin mixture, grated parmesan and more rosemary. Bake on a preheated pizza stone at 450 degrees F until golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
38. Quick Bread Whisk 1 cup pumpkin, 2 eggs, 1 stick melted butter, 1/2 cup sour cream and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and salt; stir into the pumpkin mixture. Bake in an oiled 9-by-5-inch loaf pan at 350 degrees F, 1 hour.
39. Cran-Nut Muffins Make Pumpkin Quick Bread (No. 38), adding 3/4 cup each dried cranberries and chopped pecans to the batter. Divide among 12 lined muffin cups; bake at 350 degrees F, 25 minutes.
40. Spice Cake Beat 1 stick softened butter and 3/4 cup sugar with a mixer until fluffy, then beat in 2 eggs, 1/2 cup pumpkin and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Sift 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 teaspoon each baking powder and baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; stir into the pumpkin mixture. Bake in an oiled 8-inch-square baking dish at 350 degrees F, 25 minutes.
41. Cupcakes Double the recipe for Pumpkin Spice Cake (No. 40); bake in 18 lined muffin cups, 25 minutes. Cool. Beat 8 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 stick softened butter, 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla; spread on the cupcakes.
42. Cookies Beat 6 tablespoons softened butter and 1 1/3 cups sugar with a mixer until fluffy; beat in 1 cup pumpkin, 1 egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Whisk 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon each baking soda and cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; stir into the pumpkin mixture. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto oiled baking sheets. Bake at 400 degrees F, 12 minutes; cool. Mix 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar with 1 tablespoon milk; spread on the cookies.
43. Whoopie Pies Make Pumpkin Cookies (No. 42); do not glaze. Sandwich with chocolate-hazelnut spread.
44. Scones Whisk 2 cups flour, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder and 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice. Work in 1 stick cubed cold butter with a pastry blender. Whisk 2/3 cup pumpkin and 3/4 cup cream; stir into the flour mixture. Pat into an 8-inch square on a floured surface, then cut into 16 triangles. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees F, 20 minutes.
45. Cheesecake Pie Puree 1 cup pumpkin, 8 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, 3 eggs, 1/4 cup each sour cream and maple syrup, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and a pinch of salt in a food processor. Pour into a 9-inch graham cracker crust; bake at 350 degrees F until set, 45 minutes.
46. Pudding Combine 2 cups each coconut milk and pumpkin, 3/4 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons cornstarch, 3 egg yolks and 1/4 teaspoon each almond extract and salt in a saucepan; bring to a boil and cook, whisking, until thick, 10 minutes. Chill.
47. Bread Pudding Whisk one 15-ounce can pumpkin, 2 cups milk, 3 egg yolks and 1/2 cup each sugar and chopped pecans in a large bowl. Fold in 1 pound cubed cinnamon-raisin bread and 2 chopped apples. Spread in a buttered baking dish and refrigerate 2 hours, then bake at 375 degrees F until set, 45 minutes.
48. Caramel Sauce Whisk 3/4 cup caramel sauce, 1/2 cup pumpkin and 2 tablespoons bourbon. Serve over ice cream.
49. Milkshakes Blend 1 pint vanilla ice cream, 1 cup pumpkin, 1/2 cup milk, 2 tablespoons maple syrup and 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice. Divide between 2 large glasses.
50. Frozen Yogurt Make Pumpkin Smoothies (No. 34) with 1/4 cup honey total. Churn in an ice cream maker; freeze.
Photographs by Justin Walker