Asian-Style Grilled Chicken Salad With Cherry-Peanut Dressing
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup chopped thawed frozen pitted sweet cherries, juices reserved
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (unseasoned)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- For the chicken:
- 1 cup thawed frozen pitted sweet cherries, juices reserved
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- For the salad:
- 2 cups sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 12 -ounce package wonton wrappers, thinly sliced
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 green bell pepper, julienned
- 3 scallions, julienned
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed and julienned
- 1 cup drained sliced water chestnuts
Make the dressing: Whisk the cherries, 1 tablespoon reserved cherry juice, the soy sauce, peanut butter, vinegar, vegetable oil and sesame oil in a bowl. Set aside.
Make the chicken: Put the cherries, 3 tablespoons reserved cherry juice, the soy sauce, white wine, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, ginger and garlic in a blender and puree until the cherries and garlic are finely chopped. Pour the marinade into a large resealable plastic bag. Pierce the chicken all over with a fork. Add to the bag with the marinade, seal and refrigerate at least 20 minutes or up to 8 hours.
Preheat a grill to high. Brush the grates with vegetable oil. Remove the chicken from the marinade, brushing off any excess. Grill the chicken, covered, until the juices run clear, 5 to 7 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the salad: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Soak the sauerkraut in a bowl of ice water 10 minutes; drain, rinse and squeeze out the excess water. Arrange the wonton strips in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 5 minutes. Toss the sauerkraut and romaine with half of the dressing in a bowl; divide among plates. Top with the bell peppers, scallions, carrots, snow peas and water chestnuts. Slice the chicken and serve with the salad. Top with the crispy wonton strips. Serve with more dressing on the side.
Photograph by Yunhee Kim
More Recipes and Ideas:
Marinated and Grilled Chicken Salad with Tropical Fruits, Marcona Almonds, Baby Lettuces and Lemon-Ginger Vinaigrette, "Ono-lishious": Grilled Sesame Chicken Satay Papaya Salad with Hoisin Balsamic Vinaigrette, Grilled Chicken Posole Salad, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Thai Chicken Recipes, Fruit Salad Recipes, Tomato Salad Recipes, Mexican Chicken Recipes, Roasted Chicken Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.