- 3 1/2 cups packed cilantro leaves (about 3 ounces)
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 1 medium serrano chile, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 3 1/3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
Combine cilantro, garlic, chile, and 2 cups broth in a blender and process until smooth; set aside.
Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. When it shimmers, add onion and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add rice and salt stir to coat in oil and cook until rice becomes opaque, about 2 minutes. Carefully pour the cilantro mixture and the remaining 1 1/3 cups broth into the rice and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to low so rice is at a simmer. Cover and cook until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let rice rest covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and serve.