- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups leeks, cleaned white parts only, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 large white onion, peeled and cut to 1-inch dice
- 2 cups russet potatoes, peeled and cut to 1-inch dice
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups asparagus, fresh or frozen, reserve some tips for garnish
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks, celery and onion. Reduce heat and cover. DO NOT ALLOW THE VEGETABLES TO COLOR. Sweat the vegetables until they are translucent. Add the potatoes and the stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue to simmer lightly until the potatoes are very soft. Add the asparagus and cook only until the asparagus is tender. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Using a blender, puree until smooth. Chill.
Before serving remove from the refrigerator and stir in cream. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with reserved cooked asparagus tips.