Baked Spring Rolls
- For the Spring Rolls:
- 1 2 -ounce piece deli ham, finely diced
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon chopped peeled ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Asian chili-garlic paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 14 square spring roll wrappers
- 1 large egg white
- For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1 teaspoon chopped peeled ginger
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Make the spring rolls: Cook the ham in 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, 2 to 4 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic and scallions; cook until fragrant, about 1 more minute.
Wrap the spring rolls (see right). Pierce each roll with a skewer in a few places to prevent bursting.
Place a rack in a baking dish and brush with vegetable oil. Mix the remaining 2 teaspoons vegetable oil and 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil; lightly brush on rolls. Place the rolls on the rack; bake until golden on top, about 15 minutes. Turn the rolls; bake until golden and crisp, 8 to 10 more minutes.
Meanwhile, mix all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Serve with the warm spring rolls.
Photograph by Kana Okada