Beef and Noodle Soup "a la Vietnamese"
- 1 pound boneless sirloin, fat removed and cut into fine julienne
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 -inch piece ginger, peeled
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 quarts water
- 1 large bunch cilantro
- 1/4 pound vermicelli or capellini broken into 2-inch lengths
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1/2 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes
Combine beef, garlic, ginger, cinnamon and 2 quarts water. Bring to a boil, skim off scum. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently until meat is tender, about 45 minutes. Continue skimming and keeping level of liquid constant by replenishing with fresh water. Meanwhile, rinse and chop the cilantro. When meat is tender, remove garlic, cinnamon and ginger. Add noodles and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove soup from heat, stir in salt, lime juice, bean sprouts, pepper and cilantro. Adjust seasoning and serve piping hot.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.