Beer Battered Asparagus with a Lemon Herbed Dipping Service
- Lemon Herbed Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon roughly chopped fresh thyme leaves*
- 1/2 teaspoon roughly minced fresh rosemary leaves*
- Pinch salt
- Beer Battered Asparagus:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup beer
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- Vegetable oil, for frying
DirectionsBeer Battered Asparagus:
*Cook's Note: Herbs other then thyme and rosemary can be substitutedLemon Herbed Dipping Sauce:
Stir together all ingredients and transfer to a small bowl. Chill, covered, until ready to serve.Beer Battered Asparagus:
Heat oil in a heavy saucepan until it reaches 375 degrees F.
Whisk together flour, salt, pepper lemon and zest in a bowl until combined. Add beer and whisk ingredients until smooth.Dip asparagus in batter to coat. Remove excess batter before frying. Gently transfer battered asparagus to oil and fry until golden. Stir gently to prevent asparagus from sticking together.
Transfer to a baking sheet that has been lined with paper towels and keep warm in a preheated 200 degree F oven.