- 1 1/4 pounds extra-sweet grape tomatoes, divided
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 small sweet banana peppers, seeded and quartered
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon natural brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 12 ounces vegetable juice (recommended: V-8)
- 1 egg
- 1 small lemon, juiced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons sweet cream salted butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon crab boil seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
- 2/3 cup high quality cream sherry (sweet)
- 1/2 teaspoon crab base
- 1 cup fresh lump blue crabmeat (steamed or boiled)
- 1/2 cup good quality grated Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons red lump fish caviar, rinsed and strained
Preheat oven to 440 degrees F.
Halve 18 of the grape tomatoes. In a baking dish pour in 1/4 cup olive oil. To that add banana peppers, and 1/2 of the tomatoes. Mix to coat all with oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bake uncovered (ideally in convection oven) until they start to brown (about 15 minutes).
In a pot heat 1/4 cup olive oil and add 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, natural brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon course ground black pepper. Stir over high heat. Add the remaining whole tomatoes and continue to mix until the tomato skins start to peal (about 4 minutes). Pour entire contents of this pot into a blender. To this add cilantro, the roasted tomato mixture and chicken broth. Blend until fairly smooth (about 15 to 20 seconds).
Pour entire contents into pot, add 6 ounces of vegetable juice, bring almost to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
In a medium mixing bowl beat egg until it produces a light foam and beat in the lemon juice. To this add the remaining 6 ounces vegetable juice and beat again. Slowly mix in 1 cup of the hot soup. Take soup off the heat and slowly mix this mixture into the soup. Add 2 tablespoons heavy cream and stir over medium heat until it starts to bubble. Remove from heat.
In a skillet add 6 tablespoons butter, melt butter over medium heat, add 2/3 cup of finely chopped red onion and garlic. Saute for about a minute and then add 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper and 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper. Continue sauteing until the onions are soft and translucent. Then add crab boil seasoning and cream sherry. Turn heat up until mixture comes to a bubble then lower to medium heat and stir until it starts thickening to almost a light syrup consistency. Once it has thickened add crab base and make sure it is incorporated well. Then add 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream stir over medium to high heat until it starts to bubble. Then add 1 cup of crabmeat and mix well, once it comes to a bubble again remove from heat.
For each serving:
Add 1/2 cup of the tomato soup to bowl, to this add 2/3 cup of the crab soup, 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan. And 1/4 teaspoon of the red lump fish caviar and mix well. Float a tablespoon of the crab soup in center
Grate some more Parmesan on top. Add freshly ground black pepper, to taste, and serve
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.