Apple Crepe with Fresh Ricotta, Orange Sauce and Brown Butter
- 2 to 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled, plus more for brushing pan
- Ricotta Filling:
- 1 1/2 cups fresh ricotta cheese
- 5 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Apple Mixture:
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 Gala apple, peeled, cored, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, halved and thinly sliced
- Pinch salt
- Orange Sauce and Brown Butter:
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- Pinch salt
- Confectioners' sugar, for garnish
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
For the crepes: Whisk together the sugar and eggs until pale, and then whisk in the milk until combined. Mix in the flour and salt until smooth. Whisk in the butter, cover and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
For the ricotta filling: Whisk together the ricotta, sugar and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the apple mixture: Combine the orange juice, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, allspice, cloves, apples and salt in a large saute pan over high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are softened and the juices have thickened. Remove and let cool slightly.
For cooking crepes: Place a 6-inch nonstick pan over medium heat and spray with nonstick spray or brush with butter. Once the pan is sizzling, slowly pour in enough batter to thinly cover the entire bottom, using a ladle. Quickly tilt and rotate the pan and cook until the bottom of the crepe is lightly browned, 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds. Flip the crepe, using your fingers or a spatula, and cook 30 seconds longer. Slide the crepe onto a wax-paper-lined plate, and then repeat with the rest of the batter.
For the orange sauce and brown butter: Heat the orange juice in a small saute pan over medium heat and let reduce to a syrupy consistency. Cook the butter in a medium saute pan over medium heat until it begins to turn a nutty brown color. Remove from the heat and whisk in the zest and salt. Reserve.
Lay the crepes on a flat surface. Spoon some of the ricotta down the center of each crepe and roll. Plate 2 crepes each on large plates and top with some of the apple mixture, orange sauce and brown butter. Dust with confectioners' sugar and garnish with fresh mint leaves.
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay