- fliling for one 4-layer cake
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped out, bean and seeds reserved
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons coconut rum (recommended: Malibu)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Combine the milk, coconut milk and vanilla bean and seeds in a medium nonreactive saucepan; bring to a simmer over low heat.
Whisk the egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch together in a large bowl. Slowly whisk the warm milk into the egg mixture. Return the mixture to the pan, set it over medium heat and bring to a boil. Cook, whisking constantly, until thickened. Scrape the mixture into a bowl, remove the vanilla bean and whisk in the rum and vanilla extract. Let the custard cool to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours.
Photograph by Yunhee Kim
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay for Food Network Magazine