Dakos (Greek Bread Salad)
- 1 loaf country bread, sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 cup Greek olive oil, plus more for brushing on bread
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnish
- 2 English cucumbers, quartered and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 ripe beefsteak tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 12 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Chili oil, for drizzling, optional
Preheat the grill. Brush the bread with oil on both sides and season with salt and pepper. Grill bread on both sides until lightly golden brown. Remove the bread to a platter and let sit at room temperature to get slightly hard.
Meanwhile, whisk together 1 cup olive oil, lemon juice, and dill in a medium bowl. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Fold the cucumber, tomatoes, onion, and feta into the oil mixture and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Spoon the mixture over the bread. Garnish with additional dill and drizzle with chili oil, if desired. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay
Recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence