- 1/2 pound alligator meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Fish batter, for coating (see *Cook's Note)
- Cooking oil, for frying
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Serving suggestions: various dipping sauces such as remoulade, mustard, or cocktail
Fill a deep pot halfway full with oil. Heat to 360 degrees F. Coat the alligator meat with the fish batter. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes, until gator floats in oil. Remove and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve as an appetizer with remoulade sauce, mustard sauce, or cocktail sauce for dipping.
* Cook's Note: We prefer Golden Dip brand fish batter, but if store-bought batter is not available in your area you can substitute flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
* Professional Recipe
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.