Fulton Fish Market Cioppino with Sourdough Croutons
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 1/2 pounds red snapper, cut into 2-inch squares
- 1 1/2 pounds wild striped bass, cut into 2-inch squares
- 16 large shrimp or head-on prawns
- 2 cups shrimp stock or vegetable stock
- 2 cups canned plum tomatoes, pureed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Few dashes hot sauce (recommended: Bobby Flay Hot Sauce)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 32 littleneck clams
- 1 lobster, steamed 3/4 of the way
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Sourdough Croutons, recipe follows
- Sourdough Croutons:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 loaf sourdough, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until soft. Deglaze the pan with a splash of wine. Season the red snapper, striped bass, and shrimp and saute in the pot until lightly golden brown on each side. Add the remainder of the wine and cook until reduced by 3/4. Add the stock, tomatoes, honey, hot sauce, bay leaf and thyme and bring to a simmer. Add the clams and lobster, cover the pot, and continue cooking until the clams have opened, discarding any that have not opened.
Remove the seafood with a slotted spoon to a large bowl. Bring the cooking liquid to a boil and cook until reduced by half. Whisk in the butter and parsley and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour the broth over the seafood and top with sourdough croutons.Sourdough Croutons:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat butter and oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the bread cubes and thyme, toss to coat, and then transfer to a baking sheet, spreading in an even layer. Bake until golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes, turning once. Cool before using.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.