Grilled Artichokes with Green Goddess Dressing
- 6 globe artichokes
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Green Goddess Dressing, recipe follows
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Green Goddess Dressing:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chervil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 3 fresh chives, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 anchovy fillets, chopped
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
Slice the tops off the artichokes, pull off the small leaves, trim the stems and snip off the thorny tips. In a large pot, bring 2 inches of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon kosher salt, the juice of 1 lemon and the artichokes. Cover and steam until the artichoke bottoms pierce easily, 20 to 40 minutes, depending on size. Drain the artichokes.
When cool enough to handle, cut each artichoke in half lengthwise. Scrape out and discard the fuzzy center.
Preheat a grill to medium direct heat.
Brush the artichokes with the oil, season with salt and pepper and grill, cut-side down, until lightly charred, 6 to 8 minutes. Flip and grill briefly to heat through.Green Goddess Dressing:
Combine the mayonnaise, creme fraiche, parsley, chervil, tarragon, chives, garlic, anchovy fillets and lemon juice in a food processor and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Add a teaspoon of honey, or to taste. With the machine running, drizzle in just enough oil to thicken slightly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld.
Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay