Grilled Oysters with Fra Diavolo Sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 very ripe large beefsteak tomatoes, halved, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus leaves for garnish
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes (or more if you prefer it really spicy)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 20 to 24 medium to large oysters, such as Blue Point or Gulf Coast
- 2 cups kosher salt, for serving
Heat the oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add the tomatoes, garlic and shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and juicy, but with no color, about 5 minutes.
Transfer the mixture to a blender, add a few tablespoons olive oil, the parsley, vinegar, honey, oregano and red pepper flakes and blend until slightly chunky; season with salt and pepper. If too thick, pulse in a bit more olive oil. Transfer the sauce to a bowl. (Can be made 1 hour before and kept at room temperature.)
Preheat the grill for high direct heat.
Remove the top shells of the oysters. Loosen the oysters from the bottom shells but do not remove, taking care not to spill the liquor. Put the oysters on the grill, cover and cook just until the edges start to curl, about 1 minute.
Meanwhile, wet the kosher salt with water just until it clumps together. Spoon little mounds of salt onto a large platter. Place a cooked oyster on each salt bed and top each with some vinaigrette. Scatter the parsley leaves over the platter and serve.
Sunny's Chicken Flautas Recipe(00:03:47)
Rachael's Asian Glazed Wings(00:03:13)
Creme-Filled Chocolate Cupcake(00:05:15)
Giada's Strawberry Trifles(00:04:41)
Giada's Crispy Fried Zucchini(00:03:28)
More Recipes and Ideas:
Grilled Oysters with Lemon Dill Sauce, Mother of the Pearl River Grilled Oysters Bruschetta, Cast Iron Baked Oysters Rockefeller Bacon Trinity, Creamy Dijon Spinach and Parmesan Bread Crumbs, Grilling Recipes, Barbecuing, Grilled Chicken Recipes, Oyster, Grilled Shrimp Recipes, Grilled Vegetable Recipes