Grilled Tuna Salad Sandwiches with Lemon-Habanero Mayonnaise and Watercress
- 3 cups fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 to 1 whole habanero chile, chopped (only use the whole if you like it hot)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup best-quality mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 large stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 (8-ounce) tuna steaks
- Olive oil
- 8 slices hearty bread (Italian, French, ciabatta, or country white)
Heat grill to high. Place lemon juice in a small saucepan and bring to boil on the grates of the grill. Cook until reduced to 1/2 cup. Remove from the grill and let cool slightly. Leave grill on high heat.
Place lemon syrup, habanero, lemon zest, and mayonnaise in a blender and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and transfer to a large bowl. Add the onions, celery, and parsley and set aside.
Brush tuna with oil and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Grill for 3 minutes per side or until slightly charred and cooked to medium doneness. Remove from the grill and let rest 5 minutes before cutting into small dice or flaking with a fork. Add the flaked tuna to the mayonnaise mixture and gently mix until combined. Divide the tuna salad among 4 slices of bread. Top the salad with a few sprigs of watercress and top with the remaining bread.
Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis