Grilled Yucatan Chicken Skewers
- 6 chicken thighs, skinless and boneless, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chipotle in adobo sauce, pureed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped scallions, for garnish
- Grilled lime halves, for garnish
Special equipment: 24 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 3 to 4 hours
Skewer each half chicken thigh with 2 skewers so that they lay flat. Place the chicken in a large shallow baking dish.
Whisk together the orange juice, lime juice, oil, chili powder, and garlic. Pour over the thighs and marinate in the refrigerator 1 to 4 hours.
Prepare a charcoal grill to high heat.
Remove the thighs from the marinade and sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides. Place the thighs directly over the coals and cook until each side becomes golden brown and slightly charred, about 4 minutes per side. Turn, cover the grill and cook for another few minutes until tender.
Remove from the grill and let rest 5 minutes. Cut the thighs directly down the center creating 2 skewers. Remove the chicken from the skewers and serve garnished with scallions and lime wedges.
Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay